Fishing is a favorite pastime here in Canyon Lake, and the CLPOA keeps the lake stocked giving it a reputation as one of the best fishing Lakes in the area. With almost 400 acres of water, you can be sure to find a favorite spot to catch the big one. The CLPOA keeps the lake stocked with fish and recently added 800 crappies (sunfish), 1,000 bluegills, and 1,000 red ear sunfishes.
Fishing is allowed on any part of the lake except:
- Off the Main Causeway (East and West side)
- Off the North Causeway (North and South side) between both parking lot entries,
- Off the Treasure Island Causeway.
- Fishing is also prohibited from all common docks when boats and / or swimmers are present.
Canyon Lake Fishing Permits are required for all guests (not in the company of a CLPOA member with appropriate CLPOA Identification.) The fee for this permit is per day, per week or per month. Fee information is available at the Member Services Desk. Canyon Lake Fishing Permits are available at the CLPOA's Member Services office and at Happy Camp.
Before a permit is issued, the Prime Member of Associate Member and guest(s) must present themselves and proper license(s) along with a valid guest pass, if applicable.
Each permit will have date of termination. Permits can be issued for a maximum of ten (10) days. The General Manager can grant additional time for house sitters or guests on extended stays. This extension should be applied for and completed in advance and authorization presented at time of permit issuance.
Guest Fishing Permits
The CLPOA issues guest fishing permits for member's to invite their guests to enjoy fishing in the lake as well. Guest Fishing Permits can be purchased at the Member Services office or at Happy Camp.
Current rates are:
- $5 per day
- $20 for 10 days
Please note, a visiting guest cannot have more than one fishing pole. Guests can also get a Guest Fishing Permit without the homeowner present, the guest needs to bring their printed guest pass from the gate, their California State Fishing License, ID, and payment to the Member Services office or Happy Camp.
The following are rules for fishing in Canyon Lake, outlined in the CLPOA's Rules & Regulations.
- All California fishing regulations apply.
- A California State Fishing License (16 years old or over) is required for fishing in Canyon Lake.
- The Canyon Lake Police Department and California State Game Warden may confiscate fishing gear for violation of California State fishing laws.
- State Fishing license and Canyon Lake permits must be visible at all times.
- Fishing rules are enforced by Community Patrol and / or Marine Patrol. Community and / or Marine Patrol will check for permits and compliance of the fishing rules.
- Number of fishing poles per person shall not exceed the number licensed for on California Fishing License. Only one (1) pole per guest is allowed.
- Night fishing is permitted in accordance with California Fishing Regulations.
- Fishing person or persons must respect all private property.
Fishing Flotation Tube Requirements
- Four 2" inch by 4" inch strips of reflective material in accordance with a license manufactured spaced evenly on the outside of the tube.
- One whistle (between the hours of almanac sundown and sunrise).
- One flashlight (between the hours of almanac sundown and sunrise).
- Whistle and flash-light shall be in possession of the fisherman.
- One approved lifejacket.
- Guests will not be allowed to fish in / from a flotation device other than a dock or properly registered boat unless in close proximity of the Prime or Associate Member (close proximity is within 100 feet).